- Centipedes and Millipedes
- Occasional Invaders
- Bed Bugs
- Nuisance Birds
- Stored Product Pests
Introduction: The Smokybrown cockroach is mahogany in color and ranges in size from 1 1/4” to 1 1/2”. The later nymphs are similar in color as adults, but the early nymphal stages have a white colored stripe on their thorax and on the tips their antennae. This cockroach is a ready flier and easily travels from trees onto houses.
Habits: The Smokybrown cockroach has a greater tendency to lose moisture through the cuticle, and thus requires liquid water every two to three days. Due to this, populations are primarily found outdoors, tightly centered around habitats that can be described as protected, moist, dark, relatively warm and relatively free from the desiccating effects of air flow. However, the Smokybrown cockroach can be commonly attracted to homes to feed on improperly maintained trash containers and pet food on patios or decks. Their presence is unsightly, and once they enter the home, they can damage book bindings, paper goods and clothing.
1. Sanitation – As with all animals, cockroaches need food and water, so by reducing access to these conditions, the population will become stressed and die. Also, do not allow pet food to sit out overnight, try to pick it up after outdoor pets are finished eating. Lastly, ensure the attic and/or crawl space has sufficient ventilation. Research has shown that proper ventilation creates an environment unsuitable for cockroaches and other pests.
2. Harborage alteration – Clutter is an excellent harborage for cockroaches and often provides high areas of humidity (moisture). Seal as many exterior cracks and holes as possible on the outside of the home. Store firewood as far from the house as possible, locating it off the ground and covering it with a tarp or plastic. Eliminate piles of lumber and debris where cockroaches could harbor.
3. Perimeter Treatments – Professional perimeter treatment around the home has been shown to provide substantial reductions of Smokybrown cockroach populations. Cook’s Pest Control offers professional treatment for the control of Smokybrown cockroaches and our pest management professionals are thoroughly trained to address your cockroach problems.
- Poor housekeeping is just one of many reasons for a cockroach infestation.
- They breed quickly, so they’re hard to get rid of without professional help.